A ointment is a creamy substance which is used in the medicine and in the cosmetic for various purposes Usually, the application of the ointment on the skin provides some kind of benefit to the subject on which it is applied, which can be a person or an animal.
The ointments, unlike the creams They do not have water, but are usually composed of grease and other ingredients that give it a semi-solid consistency. Thanks to their active ingredients, they can serve as remedy .
In this way, there are ointments to reduce physical pain in some area of the body and others that help expectorate, to cite two possibilities. For example: "The traumatologist recommended that I apply an ointment on my foot that hurts", “Carla was given an ointment to improve the condition of her joints”, "They launch a new ointment that relieves the discomfort caused by hemorrhoids".
In some countries , the notion of ointment is used to name the bitumen that applies to footwear to make it shine and protect it from water and wear in general. It is common, in many cities, to find people on the street who work as shoeshines, devoting themselves to cleaning and applying ointment to their clients' shoes.
In informal language, finally, the concept of ointment can refer to a position of privilege or to a certain status : “Miguel is in the ointment, has direct access to all ministers”, “Since he's in the ointment, Lucas doesn't call me anymore on the phone”, “I was in the ointment but, for refusing to participate in an act of corruption, they left me out”.
We often talk about the medicinal properties of plants, with such diverse applications that range from the treatment of a simple cold to the control of anxiety. Far from being one of the tendencies of the modern market, the use of vegetables for healing purposes takes us back to many cultures ancient. Among the products that we can prepare at home with natural ingredients are ointments.
As explained at the beginning of the definition, the ointment does not contain water; on the contrary, it is made based on oils or fats, and this gives a texture and a very particular consistency. Given its solidity, it is possible to apply it on the desired area by forming a protective layer, unlike creams, which are usually diluted with skin secretions.
To prepare a homemade ointment there are various procedures, each with different levels of difficulty and demand. One of the many recipes requires the following materials and ingredients :
* 500 grams of paraffin or petrolatum. For example, it is possible to use the Vaseline for lips sold in supermarkets and beauty stores;
* 60 grams of leaves, roots or petals of the plant that has the desired properties. In herbalists there is usually a great variety, and right there you can check which one best suits our needs;
* a glass container for preparation and others, glass or plastic, for storing the ointment;
* a saucepan with a wooden spoon;
* a filter or piece of cloth to strain the mixture;
* a jar.
He process It is as follows:
* we melt the petroleum jelly or paraffin in a water bath;
* add the chosen plant and keep on low heat for two hours;
* strain the mixture into the jar and then pour it into the containers intended for storage before it solidifies;
* we let cool to temperature atmosphere and keep in a cool and dry place.