He zinc or zinc is the chemical element of atomic number 30 whose symbol is Zn . It's about a metal abundant in the earth's crust, bright white, which can appear in the form of silicate, sulphide or carbonate.
The use of zinc goes back approximately a year 1,500 BC , according to objects found by archaeologists. However, it is believed that the reactivity chemistry of this metal and its capabilities were not noticed in ancient times.
Worldwide, the main zinc producers are China , Australia , Peru , U.S and Canada , in that order. These five countries provide almost 70% of the metal used throughout the planet.
Zinc is used to form alloys (such as brass ), galvanize the steel and the iron to protect them from corrosion, and manufacture electric batteries, for example. It should be noted that zinc is an essential chemical element for humans, as it is used by various enzymes for the metabolism of proteins and nucleic acids.
The human body has some 40 milligrams of zinc per kilo that help the proper functioning of the system immunological, wound healing and DNA synthesis, among other functions.
To maintain a good level of zinc, adults should eat about 20 milligrams of zinc a day, through foods such as brewer's yeast, beans, seaweed, pecans, soybeans and whole grains. In case of suffering a zinc deficiency, the subject may experience delays in the increase, impotence, hair loss and abnormalities in smell.
Benefits and properties
At the beginning of the 70s the possibility of a deficiency of zinc in our body, since it is found in sufficient proportions in much of our diet. But it was soon discovered, through various studies with malnutrition patients, that this phenomenon can occur as a direct consequence of an inappropriate intake or poor absorption, whether the body removes more zinc than normal or requires it in greater amounts .
Some disorders related to the low level of zinc in the human body are anemia, hypogonadism, geophagy, diabetes, kidney failure and liver cirrhosis. With respect to its causes, a common example is chronic diarrhea, which helps with the loss of zinc; on the other hand there is a hereditary childhood disease called Enteropathic acrodermatitis, which prevents the normal absorption of zinc contained in the foods.
Also, people who sweat too much and those who consume more Water It is recommended to lose zinc. This makes it clear that the causes of the deficiency can be both genetic and external.
These are some of the functions of this mineral element in our body:
* improve the developing of the reproductive organs and the functioning of the prostate gland;
* It helps prevent acne, as it regulates the activity of the sebaceous glands;
* collaborates with the synthesis of proteins and collagen;
* helps fight stress;
* stimulates wound healing;
* improves the response of our immune system;
* protects the liver;
* plays an indispensable role in the formation of bones;
* it is a component of insulin;
* It acts as a very powerful natural antioxidant;
* It helps the body absorb vitamin A;
* it is a decisive factor in the development of the human being, from its gestation to its youth;
* collaborates with the health of the olfactory and gustatory systems;
* intervenes in the preservation of eye functions.
Finally, it is important to note that in some cases it is necessary to reinforce zinc intake, such as during pregnancy or when diseases such as malnutrition or anorexia are traversed.